To keep the self-service types organised for you and your users, articles can be grouped into one or more categories. You can manage the categories belonging to a given self-service type by visiting Self-Service -> [Type] -> Categories.
Searching for Categories
When managing a number of categories, it's possible to search and filter the results shown in the table.
By default the table is sorted alphabetically by the category name. Once the table has loaded you're able to change the sort column by clicking the up/down arrows:
- Down arrow: descending order
- Up arrow: ascending order
Filtering the Table
It's possible to filter categories based on their name and visibility:
- Visit Self-Service -> [Type] -> Categories and click "Filter Results".
- Search terms:
- Name - It is possible to search for partial names. For example, you could find "Releases" by searching for "rel" or "ses".
- Type - The type the category belongs to.
- Brand - The brand the category belongs to.
- Public - Whether the category is visible to the public users.
- The table will be filtered automatically as you enter search terms.
Creating or Updating a Category
- Visit Self-Service -> [Type] -> Categories. If you're creating a new category click "Add Category", or if you're updating an existing category, find the category and click the edit (pencil) icon on the right side of the table row.
- Complete the form fields:
- Name - The name identifies the categories and will be shown to both operators and your users.
- Slug - The slug is the URL-friendly version of the name, it will initially be the name converted to lowercase and hyphens only. Click the pencil to edit the slug, it must be unique within the type.
- Type - The self-service type that the category belongs to.
- Parent - It is possible to organise categories into a hierarchy. For example, you have a large Frequently Asked Questions category which can be broken down into smaller sub-categories such as Sales, Software, and so on.
- Public - Toggle the switch to control the visibility of articles in the category to the public.
- Click "Submit" to save, and you may start adding new articles to the category using the "Add Article" link in the table.
Deleting a Category
Deleting a category is an irreversible action as it cannot be restored. When deleting a category all associated content will also be removed, this includes: articles, article comments and sub-categories.
If you prefer to not to permanently remove the content associated with a category we recommend toggling the category's visibility.
To delete a category, follow the below steps:
- Visit Self-Service -> [Type] -> Categories.
- Find the category you would like to delete in the table (see Searching for Categories).
- Click the delete icon located on the right of the table.
- Click on the left button, "Yes, Delete Category", that pops up confirming you would like to delete this category and it will now be deleted.