Upgrading to 2.3 from 2.2
SupportPal 2.3.0 adds support for PHP 7.1 and 7.2 and the ability to forward ticket content to third-parties.
Estimated Upgrade Time: Less Than 1 Hour.
Before attempting an upgrade, please take a backup of both your SupportPal database and all associated SupportPal files, then verify the backup is valid (not corrupt).
View the 2.3 Release Notes for the new features and improvements in this series.
A number of new columns and indexes have been added to the database. Due to these changes, the upgrade script may be slow on large databases so we recommend to read through the below before continuing:
Disable Server-side Timeouts
We recommend that you disable server-side timeouts within your web server, PHP and MySQL configurations before beginning the SupportPal 2.3.0 in-browser upgrade process.
Please ask your server administrator or hosting provider for more details on what settings are appropriate to disable for your server environment. We suggest the following PHP configuration:
If you can't disable server-side timeouts or prefer to manually execute SQL queries, below we have provided an SQL file that you can run against the database. The SQL file contains all of the database migrations that may take significant time to execute, to make use of the file please follow the below steps:
- Upload and extract the 2.3.0 zip file
Download and manually run the following SQL script against your database:
- Proceed with the usual SupportPal upgrade by browsing to http://support.yourdomain.com/upgrade
Email Template Changes
With the introduction of the new forward ticket message type, the operator email templates have been updated to include this as part of the messages shown. The below email templates have been updated and the default email template content can be used as a basis for rewriting your custom template if needed. It is not required to update your email templates and they will continue to work without any changes necessary.
- Assigned operator to ticket (1)
- New ticket opened (4)
- New ticket reply (5)
- New internal ticket opened (18)
- Ticket department changed (19)
- Operator replied to ticket (23)
- Operator added a ticket note (24)
Fetching ticket messages must now include the
PHP 7.1 and 7.2 Support
The 2.3 series adds support for PHP 7.1 and 7.2. If you wish to use SupportPal with either of these PHP versions, please ensure you have installed the ionCube loaders v10 (minimum v10.1 required for PHP 7.1) before updating SupportPal. We have three versions of the release available in our downloads area, one for PHP 5.5 and 5.6, and one for PHP 7.0, and one for PHP 7.1 and 7.2, so ensure you select the correct one based on your server set-up.
This series of releases will be the last to support PHP 5.
Other Important Changes
- New languages disabled by default - Newly installed languages to the file system will now be disabled by default and must be manually enabled to be used. This change paves the way to include default language packs (for languages other than English) with SupportPal in the future.
- Notifying users when using the 'Registered users only' setting - An email template has been added for notifying users when their email was rejected as they are not a registered user in the system. This is enabled by default and can be disabled by going to the department settings and scrolling down to the email templates section.
- Rackspace support removed - Previously it was possible to use Rackspace for storing attachments (
/storage/appfiles) in the cloud, unfortunately this is no longer supported. We recommend switching to AWS or reverting to storing attachments on your SupportPal server.